C.O.O.L.™ Canton Project
SR1 serves the students at Nichols Middle School in Canton. We work with sixth-eighth grade at Nichols Middle School.
Community Oriented Opportunities for Learning Canton Project
(Please click below to see the fact sheet)
SR1(Scientific Research) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization that strives to be a leader in eliminating disparities in education, health, and technology. Throughout the nation, these disparities have been a habitual and more prevalent problem for the state of Mississippi and underrepresented minorities. We believe that all students should have the chance to reach their full potential. Students will learn core subject area matter and be provided educational enrichment opportunities from SR1 staff and AmeriCorps members–all passionate and proficient in their area of study.
Statistical Portrait of Canton Public School District
Total Students: 3,338
Ethnic Breakdown: 93% – Black; 1% – White; 6% – Hispanic
Nichols Middle School
Total Students: 399
Ethnic Breakdown: 99% – Black; 0.7% – White; 0.3% – Other
100% Nichols Middle School
The C.O.O.L.™ Canton Project is a year-round non-school hour based program designed to assist students in 6th-8th grades at Nichols Middle with developing 21st century skills necessary for academic success, character-building, and dropout prevention through innovative tutoring, mentoring, and enrichment activities.
The C.O.O.L.™ Canton Project offers a pipeline of services through SR1’s C.O.O.L.™ Education Model that will give students enhanced, comprehensive learning until they achieve college access and success. The C.O.O.L.™ Canton Project consists of non-school hour activities during the school year and summer recess. The Project will foster the following:
- Non-school hour and summer recess mentoring and tutoring
- School and community collaboration
- Mentoring and tutoring aligned with Common Core standards
- Advanced hands-on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics) mentoring and tutoring
- Innovative skills development (critical thinking, communication, collaboration, creativity)
- Instructional strategies and small group mentoring and tutoring to meet students’ individual needs and learning styles
- Learning in a safe, positive environment
- College and career preparation (civic literacy, problem solving skills, social skills, etc.)
- Enriching recreational activities to promote healthy lifestyles
- Bi-lingual and culturally competent SR1 staff to serve the needs of ELL Students
- Family, social service, and health programs that engage parents/guardians in their student’s learning process and lives
- A respectful, encouraging relationship between SR1 staff and the students and their parents/guardians
Independent evaluation has identified that the SR1 C.O.O.L.™ Education Model’s pipeline of services helps students improve their academic and social skills necessary for college, career, and life.
C.O.O.L. Canton Project Participants Include:
Nichols Middle School
Parents/Guardians of Student Participants
5:1 student to AmeriCorps Member tutoring/mentoring ratio